Table of Contents
- What personal information do we collect
- How we use your personal information
- Marketing Purposes
- Accessing, Reviewing and Changing Your Personal Information
- Protection and retention of your personal information
- Other Information
2. What personal information do we collect
You can visit our Website without creating a Scholarship or Student Profile. When you decide to provide us with your personal information, you agree that such information is sent to and stored on our servers. We collect the following types of personal information:
Information we collect automatically: When you visit our Website, use our Services and or reply to ads or other content, we automatically collect the information sent to us by your computer, mobile device or other equipment that provides access. This information includes, but is not limited to:
- information from your interaction with our Website and Services, including, but not limited to, device ID, device type, geo-location information, computer and connection information, statistics on page views, traffic to and from www.ScholarTree.ca, referring URL, ad data, IP address and standard web log information; and
- information we collect through cookies, web beacons and similar technologies.
Information you provide to us: We collect and store any information you enter on our Website or that you provide to us when you use our Services. This information includes, but is not limited to:
- information that you provide to us when you register with us as a donor to create a scholarship (“Scholarship”) or when you register with us as a student to create a student profile (“Profile”) or for the Services that you use;
- additional information that you may provide to us through social media sites or third party Services;
- information provided in the context of dispute resolution, correspondence through our Website or correspondence that is sent to us;
- information about your location and the location of your device, including your device’s unique identifier information if you have enabled this service on your mobile device; and
- Your Scholarship or Profile if you choose to create and upload one on the Website.
Information from other sources: We may receive or collect additional information about you from third parties and add this to our account information. This information includes, but is not limited to: demographic data, navigation data, additional contact data and additional data about you from other sources, such as public authorities, to the extent permitted by law.
3. How we use your personal information
You agree that we may use your personal information for the following purposes:
- to provide you access to our Services and Customer Support by means of e-mail or telephone;
- to personalize, measure and improve our Services, content and ads;
- to provide you with other services that you have requested, as described when we collected the information; and
- to consider you as a scholarship winner if you apply to a scholarship on the Website.
Sharing information with and registration on social media sites: We may offer sign-on Services that enable you to access the Website or related websites with your login credentials. We can also offer Services that enable you to share information with third party social media websites, such as Facebook, Google Plus, Instagram and Twitter.
- service providers with whom we have entered into an agreement to help us provide our Services on the website, such as financial service providers, marketing agencies and technical support. In such cases, the personal information shall remain under the control of ScholarTree.
- to comply with legal obligations or a court order; or
- if this is necessary for the prevention, detection or prosecution of criminal offenses, such as fraud, deceit or prosecution; or
- if it is necessary to maintain our policies or to protect the rights and freedoms of others
- other third parties to whom you have given consent to share your information via ScholarTree, e.g. in the framework of a cooperation;
- companies that we intend to merge with in the context of a re-organization or that acquire us;
- an intellectual property owner if the owner of an intellectual property right or an intermediary in good faith believes that an advertisement violates the rights of the owner. Before personal information is provided, the IP owner will enter into an agreement that, inter alia, stipulates that information is only provided on the strict condition that it may only be used in the context of legal proceedings and/or obtaining legal advice and/or to answer questions from the relevant advertiser.
Information you share on www.ScholarTree.ca: Our Website allows donors to create and share scholarships and students to create and share student profiles and other information with other donors and students (“users”) thereby making this shared information accessible to other users. Since our Website also enables you to directly contact a donor or other user, we recommend that you consider how you share your personal information with others. You are solely responsible for the personal information you share through our Website and therefore we cannot guarantee the privacy or security of the information shared by you with other users.
In case you visit our Website from a shared computer or a computer in an internet café, we strongly recommend that you log off after each session. If you do not want the shared computer to remember you and/or your credentials, you will need to remove cookies and/or the history of your website visits.
4. Marketing Purposes
You agree that we may use the information collected by us to send you offers, whether personalized or not, or to contact you by email regarding products or Services offered by ScholarTree.
When you no longer wish to receive marketing communications from us, you can, where applicable, change your preferences in Scholarship or Profile, or follow the unsubscribe link in the marketing communication you received.
6. Accessing, Reviewing and Changing Your Personal Information
- via email to [email protected]
- by writing to:
P.O Box 30073 King St.
7. Protection and retention of your personal
We protect your information by using technical and administrative security measures (such as firewalls, data encryption, and physical and administrative access controls to the data and servers) that limit the risk of loss, abuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, and alteration. Nevertheless, if you believe your profile has been abused, please email us at [email protected]
8. Other information
Abuse and unsolicited commercial communications ("spam"): We do not tolerate abuse of our Website. You do not have permission to add other ScholarTree users to your mailing list (e-mail or postal) for commercial purposes, even if a user has donated a scholarship to you or you have applied to the user’s scholarship, unless the user has given his explicit consent. If you notice that someone is abusing our Website (spam or spoof emails), please notify us at [email protected]
Contact: If you have any questions about ScholarTree, our Website, or how ScholarTree handles personal information and privacy please contact us at [email protected]
Last Modified: January 16th, 2018